Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Who Are These People?

Or better yet: The Family That Sees Each Other Every 6 Years...Acts Like It.


Drew and I had the "pleasure" of going to Wimberley, TX this weekend for some forced family togetherness at the Annual Graeber Family Reunion! My dad has a huge extended family that we see every 3-4 years, so needless to say I was less than thrilled at the prospect of introducing Drew to all these people whose names I barely knew. But...my parents were hosting and we had no choice but to pack up and drive 4 hours to the luxurious 7A "Resort" for a night of pure unadultered awkwardness.


After pleasantries were exchanged and rooms were scouted out, we were able to escape the group for a much needed afternoon together in the Texas Hill Country at the Driftwood Winery. We'd never been to a winery and I had been wanting to go to one, so this opportunity presented itself at the perfect time!


It was $5 for a tasting of 6 wines of your choice (bargain alert!), and we sipped and tasted and swirled our glasses like we knew what we were doing while they told us about each of them. After the tasting, we settled on the Vigonier, a light, summery, crisp white wine, and took some glasses down to the wall overlooking the vineyard and enjoyed ourselves.



My boo, enjoying his vino



Me, chug-a-lugging my wine in anticipation of the long night ahead




The "bar" where we had our tasting



The beautiful vineyard we overlooked


Other highlights? My cousin is married to the owner of a Chic-fil-A so Chic-fil-A pretty much sponsored our weekend. Chicken nuggets for lunch, dinner, and breakfast (among other things) and nothing could make me happier. I also happened to finagle a Blue Blue Cookies and Cream ice cream cone out of the deal so that was a plus.

The remainder of the weekend was an uneventful blur - a lot more wine-drinking and a lot more eating and a lot more driving home. While it wasn't the way we would have chosen to spend a weekend, it's the things you do for your parents/family that make them feel good...which I guess is supposed to you make you feel good!

I'm off to watch the contestants of the Biggest Loser run a marathon, while I could barely run 2 miles tonight. Sigh.


1 comment:

  1. I want Chic-fil-a to sponsor my weekend!!
    I dont care which one... any weekend will do.

    Give.Me.Nuggets.

    ReplyDelete