Thursday, March 14, 2013

Solomon Family Wrap-Up

The last couple of days with Susan and David were a blur.  And it also seems that way because I evidently have a short-term frazzled memory problem.  

So...Saturday involved more eating (at a favorite brunch spot, Junior's), more drinking (all afternoon in the Temple Bar area), more resting (at our respective homes), and then more drinking (at Slattery's) and eating (at Paulie's) with some of our pals!  S&D got to see that we actually have friends and I think they had a good time meeting everyone and getting to know them.  Yay!

On Sunday, we finally got to take them to the Queen of Tarts - which is good because Susan is the reason I even knew about this amazing cafe in the first place.  Delicious food, wonderful tea, a delightful time as always.  We stopped by Christchurch Cathedral, and then walked over to Kilmainham Jail, evidently a really amazing tourist spot that happens to be a symbol of Irish Independence, that Drew and I had never been to.  But guess what?  It was completely booked/sold out so we couldn't go.  No worries, we'll walk over to the Modern Museum of Art for awhile!  Oh wait - that was closed too.  Major fail.  What's to be done?  I know: let's drink!  We took them over to The Brazen Head (where we'd taken Meredith and Molly) for a charming afternoon of beers and live music with the local old men.  

This might have been one of the most fun times I've had thus far in Ireland.  We somehow found a seat (because empty seats and nice weather followed the Solomons around whereever we we went) RIGHT by the band - I was virtually in the same circle that they were, and we made fast friends with the guys.  They were such a good time.  This crazy cowboy pictured below took a liking to us (and kept making fun of "Sue" for not drinking beer) and would come up with all kinds of crazy one liners.

Irish Cowboy: Where are you from?
US: Texas!
Irish Cowboy: Ahh yes.  You can always tell a Texan.  But you can't tell 'em much.

Irish Cowboy (talking about alcohol): Ah, whiskey.  It was my mother's favorite drink - because it killed me father!

He asked me and Susan to participate in one of the songs and we gladly obliged.  And chugged my beer because I was nervous.  All it involved was Susan ringing a bell and me blowing a whistle during this one particular part.  Before the song, our cowboy friend silenced the entire bar, and shouted, "Ok everyone, this here's Lauren.  And she's about to give the best BL*W J*B OF HER LIFE!!!"  The crowd went wild and then I died.   I turned bright red and wanted to crawl under the table and could hardly look my in-laws in the eye for the rest of the afternoon.  Holy smokes.  

(Crass story.  But if you can survive hearing that term in front of your in-laws then you can survive almost anything.)




Me and the whistle.

Sue ringin her bell!

More....whistle.

Me and my pal the banjo player!

Blurry cute couple.
David left Monday.  Sadness ensued.  Drew and I took Suz to Bewley's for some food, shopped a bit, went to Dublin Castle and the Chester Beatty Library (which was closed YET AGAIN), and I went off to my first day of work.  Drew and Susan went to the Queen of Tarts again and had some afternoon snacks and tea, and then we all met back up at The Bank for a yummy Irish meal while I regaled them with tales of horror from my first day at work/trip to Ikea to outfit the entire office.

On Tuesday, Suz and I ate some breakfast at her hotel, walked over to the coast and sat on a bench in the sun, took a cab to The Shelbourne and Suz read while I made some work phone calls, and then we had a GLORIOUS afternoon tea where we had wonderful conversations about many things and ate delicious food and drank heavenly tea!

Tea sandwiches!

M-I-L

Yummmmm GIMME!

We had a Going Away dinner at Dillinger's and we said goodbye to Suz.  It's always hard when guests leave, especially these ones.  They brought good weather, tons of fun, and the financial backing for a number of incredible meals, strong drinks, and good times.  We truly had a wonderful time with them and we can't wait til they come back this summer with the other 2 Solomon kiddos!  Thanks Susan and David for a GREAT TRIP!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good visit, good food, good drinks. And now time for you to pay more attention to your blogging public!

    ReplyDelete