Monday, April 22, 2013

Mimi

We just arrived in Dublin after a very quick, unexpected, hectic, bittersweet, whirlwind trip to Dallas.

Because Drew's beloved Mimi passed away on Saturday night.

She's had some health issues on and off for awhile now, but she always bounced back.  And we just assumed she'd do so this time.  I still don't think the reality has set in for either one of us that she's actually gone.

We scrambled around late on Saturday and early on Sunday to get a flight out as soon as we could on Monday, where we were then whisked off to Plano to be with the family.  It was a very sad reason to be home, but...it was really, really wonderful to be home.  Especially during a time when you need the family the most.  And because I'm on the tail end of a winter "funk" and needed some sunshine and familiarity in my life.

On Monday before we got there, the entire family sat around with the Rabbi to plan the service and to talk about Mimi and what she meant to each of them.  It sounded very emotional but cathartic for everyone involved and I really wish we could have been there.

If we'd been there, Drew would have talked about how she was there for all of her grandkids and they mattered more to her than anyone.  She came to so many of his basketball games, his graduations; she made hot dog sandwiches for him and always had ice cream bars in her freezer; she always remembered Drew's friends and their names and asked about them.  He would have said that every time we tried to call her, she'd wrap up the conversation as quickly as possible because she never wanted to bother us or bore us - even though WE had called to talk to HER.  He would have talked about how his mom always called Mimi the "baby whisperer" and had a calming ability to sooth any baby.  And how we'd hoped she would sooth our own baby one day.

If I was there, I would have talked about how welcoming and loving Mimi was, right from the start.  I think she hugged me the first time she met me.  She bought me a necklace for Christmas the following year because she'd "seen it and thought of [me]" - and she hardly knew me!  I would have talked about Mimi always telling me how happy she was that Drew and I were together.  She'd say "I love it because you don't just LOVE each other, you actually LIKE each other!  You're such good friends and you make each other laugh.  That's so important that you're such good friends like that."  I also would have talked about the love and adoration she had for her family.  Nothing made her happier.  Mimi was like a mama bear with her cubs, and when you messed with one of her cubs, you messed with HER.  If Mimi ain't happy, ain't NOOOOBODY happy.  And you do NOT wanna see that.  I think that kind of fierce loyalty and devotion reminds me of myself a little bit (in that I will CUT YOU if you mess with one of my people) and that always made me love Meems even more.

Here are some pics of us with Meems over the past couple of years.

Drew and Meems and Papa about to walk down the aisle at our wedding.

Cruisin' USA with Bethie!

Hangin out at Aunt Sissy's with Meems and Amanda.

More wedding classiness.

Mimi and I at Race for the Cure!  Did I mention she's a breast cancer survivor?  28 years, breast cancer free!!
The service on Tuesday was beautiful and spending time with family and friends who loved her was very special.  She's a popular, well-loved cutie.  I just don't think either of us can seriously wrap our heads around the fact that she's gone...which will take some time, I guess.  As most of these things do.

I'll have more updates on the rest of our time in Dallas (and Budapest!) but for now, I just wanted to reflect about Mimi and the special lady she was in our lives.  Her husband, sister, three adoring children, eight awesome grandkids, three adopted grandkids (me), and one precious great-grandbaby are going to miss her more than anyone realizes.


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful tribute to my Mom/Mimi. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. True and tear inducing. She was the best aunt ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete