Tuesday, January 14, 2014

New Year's Resolutions?

I looked back on several of my past "New Year's Resolutions" posts and I have a feeling that this one will sound strikingly similar to the others, particularly last year.  The only difference between last year and this year is that I didn't know I would be getting a job last year, and this year...I'm not working anymore!

Yes, folks, my time at my job has come to an end - I've stopped working so that I can take advantage of my final months in Dublin, among many other reasons.  If you have questions, I'm happy to discuss offline.  SO this leaves me...back to where I was at the very beginning of our journey here, trying to figure out what to do with my life and how to keep myself busy!  Happily though, I should add.

Last year, I wrote this:

I'm generally into resolutions for the new year but I also hate them because if I don't do them then I feel like a Big Fat F-ing Failure (BFFF).  Last year ours was to have a "positive, life-changing experience." CHECK!  I don't think I'm making any "set" goals/resolutions but I think I'm making a list of things I'm looking forward to doing.  And I actually like the new year and the feeling of hopefulness it brings - even if you live in a relatively dark, rainy country and don't have Christmas to look forward to anymore and have the upcoming PWC busy season to deal with.  BUT I like being hopeful and in this particular time in my life, I like the fact that I have absolutely no clue what this year can bring.  And that's new for me...but exciting at the same time.  Woohooo!  So...what am I looking forward to?  Starting to run again!  Dropping some lbs.  Feeling good again physically.  Cooking new and exciting things that intimidate me!  Reading more!  Taking more classes!  Writing more!  Blogging more!  Getting more involved in the city!  Making better use of my time!  Making a "30 Before 30" list!  Traveling!  I feel good about all of these things and I need to write them down and hang them up somewhere so I don't forget.  Drew would like to make more of an effort with his correspondence and communication with people he loves, which I love.  So...2013!  Gonna be a great year!  God willing!  I can't stop using exclamation points!

And...everything I wrote then is basically what I want to write now.  Only this time I KNOW that there won't be a job to get in the way of my plan.  (Work permits take awhile, we're not here that much longer, I have trips/visitors coming - it just wouldn't work.)  So what will I do to take up my free time and get my life back on track?

Well...plenty.  I'll be taking another course at Trinity College twice a week about European History from 1914 to Present Day.  It'll cover all the wars and facism and communism and all kinds of interesting topics!  I'm really excited.  I'll be continuing my studies at the Cervantes Institute with another Spanish class, so I'll be fully prepared to hablar when I return to Texas.  I belong to a gym that's easily accessible and will be taking classes there once or twice a week, and I'm training for a 10K and hope to get most of that done during the week days.  I want to write more, blog more, cook more, be more.  I want to plan travel for us and for our visitors.  I want to enjoy my last 6 months here and I'm not working so I can do that.  So that's exactly what I'm going to do, damnit.  New year, new me.  Or 'revised' me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment