Thursday, February 13, 2014

Cheddar-Topped Shepherd's Pie

It's feels like a year since I've done a food post, so let's get back to it!

I'm a fan of making things I've never made before, and if the Irish people can inspire me, all the better.  So...I decided to make this delicious and hearty Cheddar-Topped Shepherd's Pie for this cold season ahead.


In truth, I made this last September.  It was still turning cold though, so it counts!  I geared up to make it early and have it on the table for Drew when he got home, but then I got sidetracked by an old friend who Facebook messaged me while sitting at an airport in the Middle East awaiting his flight home to end his deployment!  I then kept forgetting to upload the pictures and put it on the blog, so I'm doing it now.  I only wish I could make this at the moment...but alas, there's no one here to eat it with me.  So maybe I'll make it in a month when Drew's done working.

Anyway, let's cook!

The Cast of Characters: celery, carrots, ground beef, butter, garlic, red wine, potatoes, onions, sharp cheddar, milk, salt, pepper, thyme, and tomato paste, which I forgot to capture in the picture.  The recipe didn't call for it, but I also added some worcestershire sauce to the mix.


 Scrub and cut your potatoes into large chunks...

Hmm.  These look a little suspect.  But I just bought them! 
And cover them in water.  


Salt those pups and bring it up to a rolling boil to get them nice and tender.



After that, peel and chop up some large carrots.



Now it's time to brown the ground beef!  You know how to do this - hot pan, stir it up until it's not pink, drain it if it needs it, and set it aside.



Done!  Voila.
Chop up some celery...


...and a very large onion.


And add all the veggies to the pot and let 'em cook!



Add your chopped garlic too.
(I always double the amount of garlic the recipe tells me to, because I like it.  Is that bad?  Now people might not want to eat what I make them, knowing this.)



Now add in 1/4 cup flour...


And a tablespoon or two of tomato paste...


...and stir to combine!


The potatoes are done!  Drew came home and took a picture of me with the hot pot.

Weirdo.
 Drain those potatoes, and while they're draining, add the ground beef to the vegetable mixture.


Now it's time for the "large glass of red wine"...


...and 850 ml (about 3.5 cups) of beef stock.


And the worcestershire sauce!  (About 2-3 tablespoons, depending on how you like the flava!)


Oh, and the dried thyme.  (1/2 teaspoon, but I just toss it in there.)


Now for the taters!  Finish draining them, and add in...


...a shit ton of butter...


...a load of sharp cheddar (but save some for the top!)...



...and smoosh them all up! 

Oh man, this stuff is GOOD.  Add some nutmeg to it too if you're feeling nutty.


Look!  My beef and veg mixture has thickened up and it's simmering there in it's heavenly sauce.  Yummmmm.


You can then pour it into your favorite baking dish (though I'll tell you that a square or rectangle one will make for easier cutting/serving/picture-taking).


This is the bottom of my dutch oven.  Disaster.  I always have to go to great lengths to remove this junk.
You'll then top it with your buttery, cheddary mash!


Go ahead and add some more cheese and butter to the top of your masterpiece, to take it to the next level.


Ohhhh baby yeah.
 Bake at 450° for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  And happy.



Ooooo la la.



See, the picture below doesn't showcase my masterpiece like a perfectly square piece of pie would, but...you get the idea.


It was hearty, it was warm, and above all, it was SCRUMPTIOUS...all week long.  Yay!

As I do, which might bug people, I did my Shepherd's Pie research and actually combined two of the recipes.  One was from Martha Stewart (I know, not very Irish), and one was with the BBC (also not Irish but more so than Martha!)  The BBC recipe had a lot more flavorings (wine, worcestershire, beef stock) than Martha's, but I used the basic method that she described in hers.  So if you feel inclined to make this popular pub dinner (and I feel like most of you should, seeing the weather all over the US SUCKS right now), you can find Martha's recipe here and the BBC recipe here.  

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Ah ha! Something else you got from your mother - combining recipes. Makes for tastier dishes! And this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete