Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The British Open

This past weekend, we got to check a big one off our bucket list when we went to Edinburgh for the British Open at Muirfield!  Drew's an avid golfer and had never been to a Major so we figured...let's do this.  It's right across the water!

Our pals Tom and Missy were there too, and we met our friends John and Natalie in Amsterdam there too with their new cutie baby.  We all went to the tournament together on Friday and ate a big delicious Mexican food dinner on Friday (I know, weird but delish), and then Natalie and I had a much needed girl's day (and baby day) together on Saturday while the guys went back to Muirfield.  

I like golf alright.  I prefer to watch it horizontally on a Sunday so I can doze, just like my dad taught me.  I've come to appreciate it more over the years, once I understood it, and once I learned the golfers names and figured out their stories.  But really...I care more about the celebrity aspect of it all.  I care more about the fact that Tiger's a jerk face and that people have a love/hate relationship with Phil and that Sergio is a cute spaniard but a bit of a whiney baby and that Rory is a cutie Irishman who's down on his luck this year and that Adam Scott is a hotty.  So while I too wanted to watch good golf like my husband, I mostly just wanted to be in the presence of celebs.  So sue me!

I tried to get Drew to write this blog post but it's 11:20pm and he's still at work and showed no interest in doing so.  So you're stuck with my amateur golf blogging.  Here are some pics!

Crazies on a plane.
We got in at 11:30pm on Thursday night and woke up bright and early to take the train and the shuttle out to Muirfield.  We wandered around a bit and then went over to the first tee to watch the big timers tee off, and to hear the announcer with the funny voice.  (Shout out to Peter B. who Drew kept trying to take a video for.  They love this guy.)

Sergio!  My main man!  But he needs a 'tude check, I'm not gonna lie.  And he needs to start WINNING, damnit!

Sergio and Lee Westwood shootin the shit before they hit. 

Adam Scott, being sexy as hell.

Great form, Adam.  And I mean that literally.

Here he comes.  That son of a bitch.
Side note: Drew hoped and I kinda thought that seeing Tiger would get me excited and I'd be super impressed and forget that he disrespects women and children and ruins lives, but...I DIDN'T.  He looked like even more of a son-of-a-bitch than ever.  Smug bastard.  You may be fooling the rest of these clowns but NOT ME.

Lining up his shot.

And away we go.
(I refused to clap for him throughout the day.  You don't DESERVE MY APPLAUSE!)

This is just a picture of the links overlooking the sea.  On television, the course looked brown and gross and unkempt.  And while it's brown and relatively unkempt, it was still rugged and beautiful in person.  Lots of hay-like grass and LOTS of dust, but still lovely.

We wandered over to some other holes and watched from the stands and followed some other big names around, and then went and got a couple of frosty brews and watched the tournament on the big screen.  And Drew and I got some baby time.  Yay!

Cutie bebe sweetie.

He looks a little too natural.  Uh oh.

Another one!  Help!  My uterus!
We came back from the bathroom and he was just standing there holding him and playing with him by himself.  Sigh.

These are some oldies but goodies: Freddie Couples (Lolly's favorite), Tom Watson, and Nick Faldo.
Nick Faldo is a large man.

Just a picture to capture how dirty me and Nat's feet were.  Literally covered in black dust.  But everyone else's were too so there was no judgement, except from you reading this right now.

You can't really see but the sun was reflecting off the water making it look gold.  So I tried to capture it, and then this large fellow in orange walked into my shot.  Oh well.

Drew and Tom outside the entrance tent.

Dustin Johnson!  He might be my new golf crush.   He's tall and cute.

Bubba!  Family man!  Love him.

More of Freddie "Boom Boom" Couples.  That's what Drew calls him.  Does everyone call him that?

Rory about to take a swing.

Rory walking on down the green, after having made a terrible shot that no one clapped for.  Yikes.  The Brits/Scots don't sugarcoat it for you.  
Phil and Bones.
Some girl right behind me yelled "I love you, Phil!" as he was about 5 feet in front of me and he looked right at me and nodded and smiled.  So that was awesome.  And I didn't even have to embarrass myself!

Douche bag on the prowl.

Me and my boo!
Natalie and I went to Afternoon Tea at the Balmoral, went shopping for hats, and sat outside on the Royal Mile and had a (couple) bottle(s) of wine.  It was really...refreshing to talk to someone so sweet and positive and caring, and someone who's doing exactly what you're doing, but with a new baby, and can still encourage you!  I had a truly great day with her.
Pretty tea accoutrements.  
Fascinators!  (Neither of us bought one because we couldn't figure out where to wear it.  Shoot!)

If Drew had written this blog, he'd be telling you all about the cool shots we saw, how NO ONE could sink a put on hole 7, how cool it was to see his golf idols in person, etc.  But instead you got the play by play of insignificant details that no one cares about.  C'est la vie.

Bottom line: we had a great time and I'm glad we got to experience something that will probably be once in a lifetime for us.  And something really important to Drew.  Our hipster hotel was very cute, we had great food, really awesome time with friends, and a cool weekend overall.

I think I'm finally caught up with the blog now!  Hopefully I'll write another post before our BIG vacation coming up this weekend.  Goodnight!


2 comments:

  1. "here he comes. that son of a bitch." and "help! my uterus!" are all-time lines.

    keep'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all know where you stand on Tiger! ha! Couldn't have said it better.

    ReplyDelete