Saturday, June 21, 2014

Athens

From Italy, we flew to Athens for about 24 hours before we moved on to Santorini and Mykonos.  We really didn't have much planned except for seeing the Acropolis, and we made the sweaty and ridiculously hot hike up there for the afternoon.  

The Acropolis is a famous "citadel" built atop a large hill, and it contains the remnants of several ancient buildings of "great achitectural and historic significance" - the most famous being the Parthenon (the big temple dedicated to Athena).  Looks like a guy named Pericles was responsible for the construction of several of these sites on the hill, built in the 5th century BC.  That's old!

I took some pictures but honestly..?  I don't have the brochure with me anymore to tell you what exactly everything is.  So just know that it's really old which makes it really cool and really significant.  Sorry dudes.




Dionysus' Theater!  That's what I can remember.







The Parthenon!

Trying to cover our sweat in the picture but failing.
We had a delightful low key dinner in town that night consisting of Chicken Souvlaki and some buttery potatoes, and went to bed early in prep for our flight the next day.

We had a 4am flight to Spain this morning (everything time/place/date/blog-wise is wonky with me right now, I can't keep anything straight) and I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open to type out this uninformative blog post.  So I'm headed to bed.  More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment