Monday, January 28, 2013

Trinity College

I just called the Russian embassy over here to ask them some questions about obtaining a tourist visa and the lengthy process it requires and I got really scared and stuttered on the phone because I thought that they may assassinate me via my cell phone.  And I probably shouldn't even say this on the blog, especially because they'll probably find it and deny me a visa.  So I'll shut up.

So guess what?  I decided to do something crazy and enroll in a class at Trinity College.  Have you heard of Trinity College?  It's this little university in Dublin, started in 1592, the university where every famous Irish author attended, the most well-known university in Dublin, top tourist attraction, an amazing place.  And guess what?  I go there!  I'm a student there!  Ok, not an ACTUAL undergrad student there, but a student no less!

I decided after my Spanish classmates show me up all the time with history and facts about Europe (but NOT the Spanish language, surprisingly) that I should further my education.  I found out that Trinity offers Extramural classes for adults to take and decided to take one called "European History 1500-1700: Power and Belief" because...I know nothing about European history.  I took a European history class my sophomore year of high school but all I remember from it was some book I read about the many wives of Henry VIII.  The Ottomans?  Couldn't tell you anything about them.  The Reformation?  Something having to do with a church split...?  The Hapsburgs and Charles V?  Some...powerful family..?  I shouldn't admit how little I know but a lot of my friends here have confirmed that they don't know this stuff either so I don't feel as stoopid.

I walked in my first day and got totally lost in the sea of old buildings and punk college students and sent Drew this text: "I feel like an F-ing freshman all over again.  I'm in this building where I think I'm supposed to be but its a huge student union/hang out type of building and there are millions of students and they're all sitting down and I'm in here with my American boots and my American hair and am wandering around like a big dumb F-ing idiot and everyone is staring at me because I'm out of place."  So...to say I felt stupid and insecure was an understatement.  For some reason I believed that this was just an "adults only" type of class for old people who feel like learning something in their free time.  I was wrong though - it's an actual college class full of punk Irish kids who all have a million friends and I stick out like a sore thumb because I don't have messy hair and jean shorts with tights on under them and ankle boots.  But no mind!  I marched up to the lady at the front of the class and told her I was an Extramural student and I needed a syllabus and she told me I was confused because this syllabus wasn't for ACTUAL undergrads, like myself.  Meaning...she thought I was young and cool enough to look like a legit student!  Thank you, crazy weird lady, for making my day.

I generally like to pretend that there's not that much of a maturity difference between myself and college aged kids, because I like to believe I'm 22 in my head, but...there is.  I have to sit towards the front, where no college kid would be caught DEAD, because I can't hear what the prof is saying if I sit in the back.  I chuckle at all the silly puns and jokes that the professor tells while the college kids mostly just roll their eyes.  I fast and furiously take notes because I'm there by choice, while the rest of them get on Facebook on their laptops.  I guess there are some differences between us and sadly...I guess I'm not 22.  Dangit.

I'm really enjoying my class though and it feels amazing to actually use my brain again.  And it feels awesome to learn things that I never knew!  I can tell you all about all the aforementioned topics listed above and I leave feeling good about myself and good about life.  It's twice a week so it gives me something to do AND it's productive, so that's a bonus!  Woohoo!  Anyway, wanted to share that little tidbit with anyone who cares.  I'm off to make some chicken tortilla soup and attempt to find the SAG Awards online.  Later!

3 comments:

  1. How cool is that? Of course every civilized person has heard of Trinity College ( Dublin, not Texas.) Very proud of your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are learning how to be very intelligent and knowledgeable. I am proud of you , BD.
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you are doing this! The Hapsburgs were an interesting family...like Spain's equivalent of Arkansas...lots of incest and crazy looking people. The art work they commissioned is some of my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete