Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Creative Writing

I haven't written in awhile.  I've been feeling uninspired and I'm not sure why.  But I'm quickly losing readers so I gotta get back on it!  

Weekend review:

  • Friday: Ryan Bingham concert with Missy and Tom.  Then pub crawled around to a club, a pool hall, and a schwarma restaurant.  All very fun and wonderful.


  • Saturday: Stayed in bed til noon.  Met up with Missy and Tom and Lauren and Bryan and their new bebe for lunch and shopping in the City Centre.  That night, Drew and I attended a surprise party for another friend from the American Women's Club at a cute restaurant.  All very fun and wonderful.
  • Sunday: Stayed in bed even later.  Went on a walk along the beach in Sandymount and soaked up the sun and warmth (it was a balmy 55 degrees and we were lovin it.)  Grocery shopping.  NFL and take-out with M&T again.  All very fun and wonderful.


On Monday, I attended my first go at the American Women's Club's Creative Writing group/class.  At the first meeting in August, a woman stood up and said she was interested in teaching a group/class and we'd be meeting next month.  I know it wasn't "official" and I really didn't know much about this woman's qualifications to teach the class, but I figured I'd give it a whirl.  Well...the meetings kept getting moved and we FINALLY met this week.

I decided to attend the "class", or gathering as it were on Monday afternoon.  I took the bus to Bewley's Hotel, deep in the middle of Ballsbridge, and wandered downstairs to the coffee bar/lounge area to see the turnout.  There were three of us: the kooky woman "teaching" the class, who is short and stout with a crown of crispy gray curls who actually seemed more like a nutty professor than anything; myself, and another petite blonde woman who I've noticed at some of the other meetings due to her high, child-like voice and her similarity to a Girl Scout troop leader.

We talked about why we were interested in the class and in creative writing (I said I just always wanted to write, even since I was little, and I didn't know what to write or how but...I was just interested.  And Jessie said she wanted to write a devotional/spiritual book for women living abroad and had already started working on it) and our kooky fearless leader told us about the writing class she took with Maeve Binchy and that she wanted to impart her wisdom and what she learned to us.  And hopefully one day get us published, as she knew a publisher here in Dublin.  Easy as that.  She had a million file folders and papers and managed to scatter them all over the table, and then spill her glass full of water all over said papers, and then ran yelling "HELP!  HELP!  I'VE MADE A MESS!" over to the counter, creating a huge spectacle.  And after that disaster, she proceeded to read us one of her short stories she'd written in her loudest voice, creating another spectacle, about a donkey living in a convent.  Three single-spaced pages full of this story - I shit you not.  I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as I gave apologetic glances at the people at the table next to us, who were also being delighted with this kook's story about June the Donkey.  AND, it turns out...this story was autobiographical because she actually used to be a NUN in England in her younger days!  Oh Lord.  Literally.

Our "homework" she decided to give us for the month was to write about our best life experience...and our worst life experience.  Oh geez.  Is that like the best day/worst day of your life?  Or best/worst period of time?  Or best/worst incident?  I can recall three decidedly very low points in my life, two of the three having to do with boys and heartbreak (one of those boys being the one I maybe ended up marrying, I believe), and I'm not really sure I want to rehash any of that painful personal information to this kooky former nun and the Girl Scout Bible study leader that is Jessie.  And my best life experience..?  I have no clue.  Wedding day?  (Cliche.)  Studying abroad in Spain?  (Too long.) What I'm doing now?  (Undecided but likely.)  UGH.  If it was something easy or low key I would share it with all of you and I guess with them but I'm just not sure I could do either.  Who knows.  We'll see.

Drew and I are still super busy preparing for our pals to come visit!  Yay!  I'm going to the City Centre tonight with a pal to watch them light up Grafton Street so I'll be back with fun pics.  And then it means I can officially celebrate Christmas and bust out the music and movies!  There's no stopping me now.

Alright, see ya!

1 comment:

  1. Am I being deceived or is everything "all fun and wonderful?" I hope it really is because it sounds like y'all are definitely having a great time.

    ReplyDelete