Thursday, November 8, 2012

Random Happenings

Here's some randomness from our week.

Our landlord was supposed to come over on Monday to look at our musty carpet and check our broken heaters, between 6:30 and 7pm.  I figured she'd be here at 7:30 because she's both late and a liar, most of the time.  Drew called at 6:30pm asking me if she was there yet and he was hurrying home.  I hung up the phone and Claire called to let me know she was downstairs.  Shit!  I called and texted Drew frantically but he didn't answer.  Claire came up and I was asking her about the things I needed to when I heard Drew's key in the lock.  I ran into the hallway to let him know she was here, but not before he walked in and bellowed "HELLO SMOOCHERSON!" as loudly as he could.  (Drew has weird, random nicknames/terms of endearment for me.)  "Claire is here!" I frantically whispered, and both of our faces turned red as Claire rounded the corner with a smirk on her face.  So that was fun.  Good work Drew.

Because our landlord is a liar and doesn't do anything she says she's going to do, and because we live in less than 500 sq. feet, I started looking at new apartments.  Drew assures me that we can't leave before our lease is up but Claire specifically said there were no consequences for getting out of the lease early.  So suck on that, landlord!

I've made a variety of dishes this week, including meatloaf and yummy potatoes.  And I made my mama's chocolate chip cookies for the first time here and they turned out pretty damn well, if I do say so myself.


Don't these look lovely?  They were yum-o.
Ohhhh yeah.

In other news, I walked into Spanish class on Wednesday and everyone said "Are you THRILLED with the results??" referring to the election.  I shrugged and informed them that I really didn't like either candidate very much and they looked like I killed their political buzz.  My know-it-all friend walked in and exclaimed "Isn't it WONDERFUL that Obaima won??" (pronounced totally wrong) and then saw me.  "Oh, sorry.  You're American.  Don't you think it's WONDERFUL that Obaima won?"  I told her the same thing and then she (and others) proceeded to tell me how Obaima is gonna bring America's healthcare system to the 21st century and how we are sooooo behind on the times.  Then everyone started talking about our health insurance and voter registration and differences in both parties all kinds of other fun political topics.  I did a lot of smiling and nodding.

Drew plays soccer now, did I share that?  He plays with some pals every Thursday night and he's having a pretty good time.  And by playing soccer, I mean "running around, having no clue where to go, and praying the ball doesn't come" to him.  Ah well!  It's exercise and camaraderie!

I've still been keeping myself pretty busy with gyms and friends and lunches and cooking and reading and lounging.  I have an interview next week at a volunteer place (don't get too excited - not an actual PAYING job) so I'll say more about that if I actually get it.

Drew also just informed me that he told his team of all girls at work today that it would be ok if they wanted to call him "Big Tex".  Awesome.  We'll see how that goes over.

I saw a pretty rainbow while out shopping with a pal.  Cool!
We Skyped with Ev!  And our families.  Kara, Skype this weekend??

I watched the entire third season of Dawson's Creek in a matter of days.  You know what season that is: where Pacey and Joey's relationship grows and blossoms into LOVE!  Blakely knows what I'm talking about, if no one else does.

Drew got crazy with hats in a department store.  Where the wild things are?

Festive glasses too!  He is also an avid scarf wearer!

The Irish immediately jump from Halloween to Christmas.  I generally restrict any Christmas music/movies until AFTER Thanksgiving, but...as I'm here, shouldn't I embrace the culture?  It's too soon, in my opinion.  But is it!?  Oh gosh.  Such a dilemma.

My two pals Mere and Moll are coming NEXT WEEKEND for their Thanksgiving break and I'm so excited I wanna pee my pants every time I think about it!!  I've made a very specific agenda of restaurants, pubs, and sights to take them to and I have an even longer to do list of things I gotta do next week.  We're renting a car and putting our lives in Drew's hands to get to Galway for Drew's birthday/Thanksgiving to see the Cliffs of Moher and other fun things for 2 days too!  I think they'll be in for a good (albeit cramped) time.  

Alright, that's all for now.  Goodnight!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the fun/humorous times just keep on rollin'...which is a good thing, Smoocherson. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I come visit you in Ireland, will you give me Jane's cookie recipe??
    PEACE ON EARTH GIVE ME COOOOOOKIES

    ReplyDelete