Monday, November 5, 2012

Dublin Marathon

Last Monday was a bank holiday, meaning we had the day off.  (Or...Drew had the day off.  I have every day off.  Whoops.)  Luckily, the Dublin Marathon was taking place!  

Before last year, I never watched marathons or really gave them much thought.  Sure, they're hard.  Sure, people who train for them are insane.  But past that...not much.  Then me and 4 other gals had a crazy idea to do the White Rock Marathon RELAY (the marathon divided into 5 different parts) and train...and then I got a little glimpse into what this marathon business is all about.  Feeling nervous and a desire to throw up, I got dressed quickly the morning of the marathon and went down to watch the first couple of people run the marathon route right by our apartment.  My chest felt tight and I felt the sudden urge to burst into tears, seeing and witnessing something that was bigger than myself!  I felt the same way when Lindsay handed over the "baton" (so to speak) to me and I started running with the other kooks who were doing the WHOLE THING.  It was a really cool feeling.  I never posted about it in December so I'm posting now.  I only ran 7 miles but it's the furthest I've ever run in my life and was probably one of the biggest accomplishments of my life, if you know me at all.  I'm not a runner.

Pumped up about almost being done!
We finished our legs!!
(Me, Lindsay, Tara, running for Team Terry.  Terry's a friend.)

The rest of the team at the finish line, after Nell brought the team home to victory.  So proud!
(Me, Eleanor, Kathleen, and Tara.  Lindsay had to go home.)
Woohoooo!
 So...all that being said, the Dublin Marathon was Monday, and after experiencing a TASTE of marathons for myself, Drew and I couldn't wait to get up early and head out to cheer on the runners.  The Dublin Marathon is evidently known as the "Friendly Marathon" because every single person comes out and stands along the running path all over the city and cheers on the kooks running it.  Part of the marathon passed right behind our apartment and we timed it to where we'd see the first Africans running by, about 10:40am.  We bundled up and got some hot drinks and stood waiting, my chest already tightening and eyes tearing up in anticipation.

Speaking of tears, several of these guys in wheelchairs flew by before the Africans.  Talk about emotion.  I dare you not to cry.
Here he comes!  The first place African!  He ended up finishing the race in 2:11 - so this was like 30 minutes before he finished.  I was cheering like a maniac.

Second place dude!  Nice work!
A couple more, not far behind.
We then moved to the OTHER side of our apartment, right near Merrion Square, where the finish line was.  We planted ourselves directly at the curve where the runners round the bend and can see the finish line ahead of them.  We again screamed like maniacs.

Finish line!
Woohoo!
Well done!  Nearly there!
This was a little team of kiddos who was standing near us, sticking their hands out for high fives, clapping their clap toys, shouting with all their might.  Too cute not to take a picture of.
Drew and I would scream things like "Almost there!"  or "ALRIGHT!" or "Good job!" and then we started hearing the Irish folks say things like "Nearly there!" or "Well done!" so we switched over to those expressions.  We may have even yelled them in accents.  Ok, I yelled them in accents and it irritated Drew.  Sorry not sorry - I wanted to blend in!  (I also say "sorry" or "thanks" or "cheers" in an accent at all times because if people have just one interaction with me, I want them to think I'm a local!  This also annoys Drew to no end.)  It was even better if someone had their names written on their person cause then we'd scream their names loudly.  Some loved it, some looked like they wanted to kill us.  Ah well.  

We ended up being out there a total of 3 or 4 hours, changing locations and cheering loudly and smacking our freezing cold hands together for these people.  We then ate lunch at a pub nearby and talked to some finishers there.  The whole thing was so cool!  And impressive!  And emotionally overwhelming!  My b-fri Moll is running the Fort Worth Marathon next weekend with my pal Char and I wish like hell I could be there to cheer them on too.  Sigh.  Maybe next time.

Anyways, marathons are cool (to watch) so get out there and support  your local marathon and local runners.  They need you and you'll feel warm and fuzzy inside!  

No comments:

Post a Comment