Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

Ahh.  Today is Election Day.  Tomorrow we'll know who our Pres is gonna be for the next 4 years.  Pretty crazy.

Everyone's been asking us if we voted over here.  We sent in a request to the Embassy for absentee ballots, waited patiently for them, and then received an email from the Embassy a few weeks ago saying "You should have received your ballots by now.  Please have them turned in within 5 days."  Emails back to the Embassy provided no answers so...we missed out on the opportunity to vote.  I do feel badly about it because I know it's our civic duty to vote, but I (a) don't really love either candidate and (b) have a pretty good feeling I know which way Texas will go, with or without my vote.

That being said, I actually can't wait for the election to be over and cannot WAIT for the dummies on Facebook to shut the hell up.  My brother keeps reminding me that with Facebook, "the village idiots are no longer confined to their village." And boy is he RIGHT.  What I find ridiculous and infuriating is that...in this day and age, with alllllllll of the talk about bullying and acceptance and loving each other, the very same people preaching love and acceptance are the very same ones who are saying horrible things about the opposing political party, it's candidate, and anyone who votes for them all over any social media they can get their hands on.  Both sides are guilty and both sides are extremely hypocritical.  I know we can't "all just get along" like I always say but...can't we just shut up??  No, we don't all have the same views; no, you may not like the President right now; no, you may not like the opposing candidate, but do you have to be so damn obnoxious about it???  Do you have to talk so much shit about stuff that you probably don't even understand and can't back up?  Do you have to be so hateful?  Can't you just accept that you alone have no control over how the election goes and quietly deal with it??

Evidently you/they can't.  So with that being said, I'm glad the election is gonna be over.  AND I'll (perhaps naively) say that we'll all probably be ok, no matter what happens.  Calm the F down, people.  

Alright!  Off my soapbox.  Go America!  USA!  Red, white, and blue!  Home of the brave and land of the free and all that jazz.  Let's do this.



"I don't believe in the Republican party or the Democratic party.  I just believe in parties."
-Samantha, Sex and the City

No comments:

Post a Comment