Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Funk

I haven't blogged in almost a week because...I haven't had much to blog about.  And cause....can I be real?  I've been in a bit of a funk.  We both have.  And I don't know why.  Actually I'm lying - I do know why.  We're both stressed about my job situation and my life and what the hell I'm supposed to do here.  It started last Wednesday when Drew was leaving for work and lovingly told me to "get out and do something!" that day.  I don't know what cracked inside me but I burst into tears, asking him where exactly he wanted me to GO and what he wanted me to DO....because I didn't have answers for either of those things.  I was meanwhile applying for jobs and getting rejected from a lot of them because I evidently don't have "administrative experience", even though that's pretty much all I did for the first 3 years of my after-college career.  I talked to a recruiter on Friday who was really nice but also very realistic, telling me that my resume wasn't doing me any favors for the jobs I'm applying for and Irish companies don't know the American companies I've worked for and even though I could successfully do all of the jobs I've applied for, it doesn't show that on paper.  And that I should start with temp work - but in order to start with temp work I have to get my visa situation sorted, and that's nearly impossible.  And then one of my friends here semi halfway offered me an unpaid internship at her marketing company she works for (like 40 minutes away), and even though I didn't necessarily want to take it, I felt like I had to because of what the recruiter said, and because we could use a second salary (if this thing ended up with me getting hired), and because this might be my only chance at employment for 2 years based on this shitty economy and my lack of anything relevant on my resume.  Shit.  Thus...the funk.  And the lack of writing.

We had a good, low key weekend, which is just what we wanted and needed.  Dinner at home on Friday night, then out with our friends Missy and Tom; slept in Saturday and laid around moaning about my headache due to...I DON'T KNOW PEOPLE!  LEAVE ME ALONE! and then went and got burgers.  I read in the park while Drew had his NFL Fantasy Football Draft (and got to video chat with his friends!) and then we had dinner at Tracy's!  She had a beer tasting party where she bought 10 beers and we got to taste each of them and rate them and take notes on a spreadsheet she'd made.  So awesome and so fun.  Sunday...Drew played golf, I made a grocery list and did laundry and we hung out after he got home.  Nice and low key.  

A picture of the love of my life, that my mother sent me this weekend, God love her.  Isn't he the cutest sweetest cutie?  I miss him so much my heart hurts.

Every morning (since last Wednesday) I've been getting up and walking Drew to work, and then roaming around Dubs for 5-6 miles.  It's a good thing for me.  And even better when it's beautiful weather on the river!

Pretty pretty pretty.

Chistchurch Cathedral on a lovely day, on one of my walks.

Burgers to bring us back to life on Saturday at Jo'Burger.  They were a foot high.  Mine had mushrooms and garlic butter, his had bacon and some sort of chutney on it.  Mmmmmmmm!

One of the many beers we tried at Tracy's.  This one, Brainblasta, had 7% ABV!  It didn't taste good but I guess it would get the job done if you had a couple.

This was my favorite label.  The beer wasn't half bad either.

I officially decided today that I'm not doing the internship.  It was causing me a lot of stress and I finally told Autumn I wasn't taking it and I feel better, though a little guilty and a little sheepish and like I might regret my decision any day now.  Drew has somehow miraculously changed his tune - his main priority now isn't money, it's....me getting out of the house, being happy, doing something cool.  I've continued applying for jobs but I'm also now looking into volunteer opportunities.  (If I'm going to do something unpaid just to get experience, I might as well do something I like.  Right?)  I'm having lunch with a friend who is in my similar situation this week to talk it out so hopefully I can get some more clarity.  

The things I'm talking about and complaining about seem so silly and so irrevelent but it just seems like everything is unknown and hard and out of our comfort zone.  We don't know a damn thing about anything and just wanna keep our heads above water!  Oh brother.

This has most likely been a hormone-induced rant so please ignore it and look forward to more positive posts this week.  Forgive me.  I love you all.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment