Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Yelp It Up

Tonight, we had the opportunity to attend our first Yelp Elite event!  Drew has been an active member on Yelp since Mere started there and after one month in Dublin (despite the fact that he's been reviewing places in Dallas for years now) he was invited to be an ELITE member!  Wooohooo!  Being Elite means you're an active balla on Yelp and you can get invited to do some cool things in the community.  Like tonight's whiskey tasting!

We headed over to Bison Bar and met some cool peeps, tasted some disgusting whiskeys (God knows I'm trying to like it but I just CAN'T yet!), got a tour of the cool bar, and really enjoyed ourselves.  Bison Bar is a whiskey bar that has expanded into 3 different bars above it and next door.  It's outfitted with old school "western" stuff, which reminded us of Texas.  Ahhh.

Welcome!

Yelp thinks Drew's special.

The had saddle barstools!  Coooool.  The bartender was talking about them and said "I don't know if any of you have been to Texas, but these are what the barstools look like there."  Drew stepped in and said "Uhh I'm actually FROM Texas and they don't look like this."  Not sure if that won us any friends but come on!  The guy didn't know what he was talking about.  What were we supposed to do?


I've hated buffalos since birth and they've always scared me, as they are demon monsters on four legs.  But I guess they had to have one here after their namesake.  It doesn't mean I had to like it though.  Even taking this picture was difficult for me.


Disco ball in the music venue!

Upstairs bar outfitted in retro furniture.

More blazing saddles and old timey stuff.

Reminded me of home.

The lineup: Jameson, Connemara Scotch (yuck), and some sort of Rye whiskey resembling Jack Daniels that I can't remember the name of.

I believe Conan O'Brien said "Scotch looks delicious, but then you take one sip and it tastes like a leather furniture store that's on fire."  Well put.



It was raining after we left so we ran into The Counter to get some burgers.  Notice that sauce at the top left?  That's RANCH!!  Not the same as home but I'll take it!


It was a really fun event and I can't wait to go to more.  Maybe I should start writing some reviews so I can stop riding Drew's coattails yet again.  Ah well!  He likes taking me.  Fun times with Yelp though - glad we went!

Tomorrow, folks, I boldly go where many women have gone before: my first American Women's Club function.  It's a "Newcomer's Coffee Group" at 10am at some woman's house in Ballsbridge.  Tracy can't go because she works so I am going at this one alone.  Alone.  I am both nervous and dreading it, mostly because I'm having Theta bid day flashbacks.  But no matter.  No one else there will know anyone either and it'll be FINE!  I'll report back afterwards so stay tuned.  Now I'm off to sleep fitfully, anticipating my morning ahead.  Sigh.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment