Thursday, October 18, 2012

All in a Day's Work

"I find the key is to think of a day as units of time, each unit consisting of no more than thirty minutes. Full hours can be a little bit intimidating and most activities take about half an hour. Taking a bath: one unit.  Watching Countdown: one unit.  Web-based research: two units.  Exercising: three units.  Having my hair carefully disheveled: four units. It's amazing how the day fills up - and I often wonder, to be absolutely honest, if I'd ever have time for a job.  How do people cram them in?"
-Will Freeman/Hugh Grant
About a Boy

I find this quote to be particularly true of my life right now.  I appear to be settling in to my non-working life just fine, and I've been surprisingly busy lately.  I think last week is/was the first time since I've been here that I actually felt good about my day, my self, and my status here.  I wasn't worrying about what job was rejecting me or staying busy or trying to be productive, because I WAS busy and productive without even trying to be.  I just felt...comfortable.  

I'm still applying for jobs, but the number of jobs applied for each week has dwindled.  I applied at a cute food store/restaurant last week but I think they've found someone already - but he said he'd let me know.  Cool.  It's hard to keep at it when you literally keep getting rejected from a lot of them.  It's also hard to stay positive about jobs when everyone asks you what you did in the States and you say "social work" and they give you a sympathetic nod like..."oh that's nice!  Good luck finding a job like that here."    We're in a recession, people!  There's no money to be had at the non-profits!  There's no money to be had at the FOR-profits either, let's be honest.  I still have absolutely no idea what I would want to do if I did work...and like the quote above, I'm just not sure I'll even have the time. 


I've registered at a volunteer place and now I just have to pick my placement.  The main job that interested me was caring for exotic animals at the National Exotic Animal Sanctuary but it's far away and requires a care due to lack of public transportation in the boonies...so that's out.  And because I don't have a car, that also means that I can't volunteer at the Irish Seal Sanctuary as a rescue driver.  So I guess I'll continue looking...for a desk job.  Snooze.  Stay tuned.  

I wanna do things here that I normally wouldn't in the States.  Like work at a restaurant.  Or a wine shop.  (Just part-time, no nights or weekends please.  Thanks.)  Or drive seals who need rescuing around the country.  I had lunch with a friend last week and she emphasized the importance of taking advantage of my time here, and make the most of not working - she mentioned cooking classes, daytime shows at the National Concert Hall, the gym, crafts, lunching with friends, etc.  Those things all sound great and wonderful and while I'm inspired, there's the small problem of the guilt I feel spending my husband's money on my life of leisure while he works his tail off.  Maybe there's a happy medium..?

So...what have I been doing these past few weeks?  

  • I sat at home with a plumber all day one day while he magically fixed our hot water tank, and we now can both take a shower AND do the dishes in the same day!  No longer do I have to choose whether I want to wash my hair or shave my legs in the shower on a particular day.  Whew.
  • Met with our banker to go over personal property insurance.  Fun.
  • Went to dinner at a Spanish restaurant with some pals.
  • Went to the gym several times, met with my trainer, discussed my horrible diet, etc.  
  • Went to the American Women's club meeting.  Bought some canned pumpkin from a woman who sells American food there.  Score!  Had lunch with my friend Carrie afterwards.
  • Made delicious lamb gyros with chipotle tzaziki sauce.  Yum!
  • Went shopping at some craft stores and bought a new top or two from H&M.
  • Went to an Asian food market for my Thai Noodles I made this week!  (Post to follow.)  Very cool place!


 
  • Went to a wine-tasting with my American Women's group pals.
  • Took lunch and dinner to my friend and her new born bebe!!  Held and played with the bebe.  Took their dog for a walk.  Led other dog-walkers to believe that he was my dog.  Thought about my dog.  Cried.  Held the baby some more.
  • Researched volunteer opportunities and creative writing classes.  We'll see.
I ask you...when am I supposed to fit a full-time JOB into this schedule!  I just don't know if it's possible.  I'm mostly kidding.  Kind of.

Alright, off to...research recipes.  Or work out.  Who KNOWS.  See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment