Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Paris: Day 2!

Day 2 was just as lovely as Day 1, except for a little bit of rain the whole afternoon and evening.  No matter - rain doesn't stop us!  We live in the rainy capital of Europe!  We slept in an hour later than we meant to, got up and moving and headed to a cute cafe near our hotel for some crepes!

Hot Chocolate and an Espresso.


Nutella Crepes and Crepes avec beurre et sucre!  (Butter and sugar.)  It doesn't get much better than this.
Lovers in love.
 Then we took the subway to the Trocadero....

Drew loves subways.  Like LOVES them.
We rounded the corner...and saw the beloved Eiffel Tower!

Voila!

Awkward solo shot.

Drew being a kook.

Merry Christmas from the Solomons!

Woah.

Pretttttty.
 After our time playing at the Eiffel Tower, we headed over to Rue Cler and the surrounding area, one of many recommendations by Luke D. that worked out incredibly well!  We wandered up and down this cute street filled with cafes, food shops, flower shops, and other little markets.  It was my happy place.

A lady walking a Westie!  I almost cried.  But I didn't.  But I almost did.

Fresh seafood.



Cute cheese shop

Pretty flowers! 
Berries galore


More beauty.
There were a gazillion cutie restaurants and cafes along the street, and we finally settled on one called Central Cafe (I think) where we got some rose wine and deux Croque Monsiers!  Soooo good.



We were in a state of total happiness and relaxation when we saw two American couples strolling by, deciding to sit down right next to us.  They were older and a bit nutty in their North Faces and hiking gear, but as they sat down I realized that NONE of them had showered in what must have been weeks. THEY. SMELLED. HORRIBLE.  I began making a big deal about covering my nose without trying to hide it and making gagging sounds.  Drew was embarrassed by my display of disgust and told me to quit making a scene but I refused.  I WANTED to make a scene and HOPED they heard and saw me making a big deal about their scent.  NOT SHOWERING IS RUDE!  It's rude to everyone they're around and it's disgusting and NOT OK.  My scene-making was doing everyone in that city a favor.  And maybe they'd see and hear.  And maybe they'd shower.  Sorry not sorry.

After our relaxing, delicious, but stinky lunch, we walked down Rue de Grenelle, past Les Invalides, to St. Germain de Pres!

Les Invalides - buildings, museums and monuments dedicated to French military history.
Napoleon Bonaparte is buried here.  Cool huh.
St. Germain de Pres is full of fancy schmancy designer stores that I could never afford but I enjoyed looking at!  There are lots of very chic shops and people and we didn't necessarily fit in with our Converse All Stars and touristy backpack but I could care less.  

There was a line outside the Christian Louboutin store cause they only let a certain number of people be in the store at a time.  Snobs.  Drew wandered over to check the prices of the shoes in the window and was flabbergasted.  

Wandering around the Jardins du Palais Royal

There was a fun band/symphony playing in the middle of the Jardins so we slow danced under our umbrellas to the sweet sounds of Paris!  So cliche.  But so great.
One of the main reasons we went to St. Germain de Pres was to visit a bakery called Poilane (another Luke rec) that evidently has some pretty addicting sugar cookies, among many other mouth-watering pastries.  Sign me up!  We bought a bag of sugar cookies that lasted us for days.  I think they have crack in them.

Then, while standing outside of McDonald's to use their free Wi-fi, we got to witness a French "Slut Walk".  Um...what?  They shouted "NON C'EST NON!" which I think means/signifies "NO MEANS NO!" and they were shouting other things in their scantily clad outfits I tried to understand.  Hey, this is part of it.  Mixin and mingling with the locals and seeing real authentic French culture.  Gotta love it.


We also stopped by E. Dehillerin, a fun kitchen store recommended again by Nell's blog and my pal Ina Garten.  My mama would've loved this place.





Back home to put on some boots and a coat and then we headed off to get some birthday pre-dinner drinks at Rival before dinner with John and Nat!  (They were randomly in town too!  Yay friends!)

My first sip of liquor since I got to Europe!  And you bet your ass I had two of these bad boys.  I was feeling nooooo pain before dinner.  It's my birthday!  So sue me!
We went to a steak frites place called Relais de l'Entrecote, another Nell/Luke recommendation, and this might have been our favorite meal here.  It's so simple: salad, steak (cooked medium or well done, "no in-between!") smothered in truly some of the most delicious sauce you've ever tasted, and plates full of french fries!  SO. GOOD.  


Then we strolled home at midnight along the Champs Elysees hand in hand as the clock struck midnight on my birthday.  Ahhh.

Midnight in Paris.  Without Gertude Stein or Fitzgerald or Hemingway or anyone else from the movie.  DANGIT!
Another great day.  Bon soir!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like the perfect birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun and such delish food! Glad you two love birds had fun!! Also, can I confess something?? Drew's mountain man beard is kind of getting me all hot and bothered. Bout to force peter to grow one, but I have a feeling it wont be nearly as full and sexy.. ok is this getting weird? Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write the best photo captions.

    Find anything good at the kitchen store?

    ReplyDelete