Monday, July 2, 2012

Flight Notes

Here are some notes I took in my journal on the flight:


10:15AM:
Sitting in the airport terminal, thinking I'd have Wifi but I don't.  Need to Instagram and Tweet to my people!
Had a really rough morning.  REALLLLLY rough.  I woke up filled with nothing but dread and panic and the feeling that I should run for the hills and never look back.  Which I guess defeats the purposes of leaving/going.  I wanted to throw up and maybe poop my pants.  Probably both.  I got up and brushed my teeth and went to my parents' room to do my hair, and then went and flopped on my parents' bed with my dog and burst into tears.  And then my mom cried and I cried more.  I went to do my hair and tried to deep breathe and get it together.  Then John came in with the bebe and I went and kissed her cheeks and then sobbed some more.  I couldn't get it TOGETHER!
Frazzled morning of packing, eating, running around.  Susan and Beth told us goodbye before we left and I cried again.  And so did Suze which is evidently a big deal for her - which made me cry more.  Ugh.  Went to tell John and Lauren and bebe Annie and Murph goodbye and cried even harder. Sobbed my eyes out.  Drove to the airport with Jane crying the whole time.  Not good.  Crying again right now.  Sunglasses on.  Trying to breathe and keep the vomit down.  Lauren, whatever you do, do NOT think of your dog's cute face or your niece's squishy cheeks or watch videos of her splashing around in the tub that you took the other day.  Gonna go snuggle up to Drew and cry together.  I'm so sad.  More in a bit.


6:40PMish:
We just took off on our flight to DUBLIN.  It's nuts.  Drew and I keep looking at each other like we're crazy and not sure what the hell we're doing.  Not a lot of words exchanged but lots of hugs and reassuring looks.  Oh brother.  Every time the Aer Lingus people come on we giggle at their accents.  
HIghlights so far have included chuckling at our first Irishman in America, sans teeth (I suggested taking a picture with him and Drew suggested saying "SAY CHEESE!" to show everyone his toothless smile), a surprisingly delicious sandwich at the Boston Food Court after a particularly rough landing, a lady on our flight named Imelda (reminding me of Harry Potter - MG/BA/KP: who is she in the book?), calling our moms to say hi and bye (my mom said she was in a bit of a funk and I cried/used my sunglasses all over again), seeing on Instagram that Annie rolled over all by herself and crying again, seeing a picture of Annie that John texted Drew and crying again, taking off while squeezing Drew's hand, and now watching two of my favorite episodes of Sex and the City on the plane.  Yay!  Evidently the flight is 5.5 hours so that's not so bad.
My eyes are swollen and I've been tearful and sad all day day, but now we're actually on the plane and I think the excitement is building.  Excitement and disbelief and bewilderment and questions and more disbelief.  I keep reminding Drew that we're not going on a small vacation - we're going there to LIVE.
They're coming around with food and bevs now and part of me wants a beer to celebrate.  But I also know that I should just get water cause that's what you're supposed to have to avoid jetlag so I guess I'l do that.  We land and it should be around midnight our time and 5AM Dublin time.  I wanna go home and nap but Drew says we gotta stay up!  Ugh.  
I feel like I should be emoting more than I am but I don't know what to say besides...I'm tired, sad, unbelieving, bewildered, overwhelmed, and excited.  
Having anxiety about the Fourth of July party we're invited to Wednesday.  Won't know anyone and my self-diagnosed Social Anxiety Disorder will kick in.  That's all I wanna say on that.
Bar cart coming around now, dinner in an hour, then 3 hours to hang out.  The pilot just came on to give an update and he wouldn't tell us what the weather was like in Dublin because he "didn't want to depress" us.  Awesome.  Maybe I can use that as incentive to sleep a little if it's raining and then head out for an Irish breakfast/lunch and get a lay of the land.  Gonna go watch TV now.  More tomorrow.



Drew and I at DFW with our 6 bags.  Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment