Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sunday Funday

Because we'd had an earlier night than the previous night, we woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready to face the day!  Susan had told us about some place her friend went to called The Queen of Tarts, all the way across the city, that evidently had tarts, pastries, breakfasts, scones, and anything else baked that you wanted to DIE FOR!  So we made the trek.  We each got a scone and some orange juice and tea and delighted in the cute atmosphere and how wonderful it was.  (Ok, I delighted in it.  The guys could care less.)  It's pretty much my new favorite spot and I plan on coming here often and taking everyone I know who comes to visit here.  

(It's probably a blessing in disguise that it's across the city, so it forces me to walk miles and miles to get there, eat my pastry/scone, and then walk back.  So it cancels itself out!  When I worked at Joe Willy's, I had a couple who came in every Saturday but they forced themselves to WALK there to get their burgers.  They lived in my parents neighborhood if that's any indication how far it was!  I thought it was a brilliant plan, and here I am with my own.  Just like in Sevilla - the best ice cream was about 4 miles from our apartment.  And it was worth it.  Anyway.  Bye.)

I'll be going back to The Queen of Tarts, bottom line.

We then walked across the river to the Jameson Distillery!  (And potentially witnessed a drug deal go down while walking there in a shady part of town.  Awesome.)  Drew and Evan are both whiskey drinkers, and I figured I certainly could be with the right amount of training and prep and acquirement, so...why not?  The Jameson Distillery was a little different from the Guinness Storehouse in that it had a guided tour for you to go on every 20-25 minutes.  You had a tour guide and it was much more "old school" than the Guinness one.  You watched a short video depicting the Distillery when it first opened, and you walked around to see how they made their whiskey in the old days.  And the description of making the whiskey sounded a great deal less complicated than making beer.  I actually understood it!  The tour ended with a chance to taste Jameson in a variety of ways: straight, with cranberry, with Sprite, with Ginger Ale, etc.  Evan and Drew opted for drinking it straight and I tried it with Ginger Ale.  Not bad, though a little sweet.  If I were to order it at a bar, I would get a "splash" of Ginger Ale to cut the horrible asophagus-burning flavor and try it that way.  But we had a great, educational time!


The whole process starts with Barley, as with most everything else.
Mixing the barley with water and what not.


The process of seperating the alcohol from the water.  Distillation, perhaps?


Aging whiskey.
Creepy husband.


Cheers!


Mmmmmmm.
B-fris.
Some fun with hats in the gift shop!





Pretty building on the way there that had nothing to do with Jameson.

We had a lovely time and learned a lot.  Evan was a saint and went with us after the tour to buy our new TV and to do some grocery shopping!  He even helped Drew set it up when we got home.  The addition of a TV with functioning cable and channels has added significantly to Drew's happiness.  The first channel he turned to was ESPN and I thought he might pee his pants.  As previously mentioned, I'm more of a DVD watcher, but whatever makes Drew happy is fine by me!  


We ordered pizzas from our favorite place, drank some wine, and watched the Olympics on the new TV.  We were sad to go to bed because we knew Evan had to leave the next day, and Drew had to go to work, but...c'est la vie.  It was a really fun weekend with our best pal.


No comments:

Post a Comment